Ah, September. The kids are back in school, the weather is cooling and the leaves are starting to change. It’s also Realtor Safety Month — a topic close to our hearts at Transnation Title.
Since 2003, the National Association of REALTORS® (NAR) has dedicated September to Realtor safety, with the primary goal of educating you as a Realtor about how to protect yourself and make sure you make it home safely to your family each night.
This is a great resource full of tips to keep yourself and your clients safe, but here we want to highlight five essential safety measures that you should consider:
- Prospect Identification Form: When you have a new client, encourage them to complete a Prospect Identification Form. Be sure you properly discard this personal information when it’s no longer needed.
- Secure Entrances: Make sure the exterior doors of the homes you visit are sturdy and secure. Doors should be either metal or solid one and three-quarter inch or thicker hardwood, with robust locks.
- Protect Personal Information: Advise your sellers not to leave personal information out, like bills or emails, while their home is being shown. Also, have them make sure they’ve secured items like laptops or other belongings that would be easy for someone to put in their pocket and take.
- Secure Communication: Never send any vital or private information over email. Use secure methods for sensitive data.
- Always Share Itinerary: Before heading to an appointment, let someone you trust know your whereabouts and when you expect to return.
Along with familiarizing yourself with and implementing these tips, you should take time this month to plan your safety strategy if you haven’t already. A safety strategy should be a plan you can follow “every day, with every client, every time.”
This includes meeting clients in public spaces, avoiding hosting open houses alone, and refraining from oversharing personal information. Along with these tips, you should always check that you’re following the safety protocols established by your state or local Realtor association and brokerage.
Finally, take the REALTOR Safety Pledge! to reinforce your commitment to safety. You can do that here.
At Transnation Title, we believe that your safety is paramount. We’re here to support you and your clients with the highest commitment to security and accuracy. Your safety is always our priority, just as it is yours.
To learn more about how we can enhance your real estate transactions, contact us today. Safety and security in real estate start with us.