Research shows that about 20% of the population struggles with indecision. As a Realtor, you have no shortage of decisions, big and small, you make each day that are often time-sensitive, require high attention to detail and must balance your goals with your clients’ best interests.
Here are five techniques to help you when it comes to making sound decisions:
- Gather the information you need: Using effective decision-making tools can help you make the best possible choices for your clients and your business. There are many different tools, methods and frameworks to try, including a SWOT Analysis, the Vroom-Yetton-Jago Decision Model and the 5 Whys Analysis.
- Involve others: If you’re struggling, consider bringing in the perspectives of others to help. You can start by asking members of your team or colleagues in the industry for their input. You can also involve your clients in the decision-making process, where appropriate, which can be particularly helpful when making decisions that directly impact their needs and preferences. This can not only help you make a better decision for everyone involved, but it can also make those who you asked for help feel more connected and engaged in the work.
- Evaluate the level of risk: Acknowledging the risk involved for every decision has two benefits. First, it helps alleviate some stress because not all decisions have to carry the same weight. Some decisions can be reversed, making them less of a big deal. If a decision is low-risk, consider delegating it to avoid decision fatigue. Secondly, identifying risks allows you to understand whether you made the right decision later on.
- Set a time limit: Time management is crucial for your success. Giving yourself a timer can help you avoid letting your mind wander to the worst-case scenarios. Instead, you’ll collect the pros and cons quickly, which you might otherwise not do. For example, when evaluating a property’s market value, you may need to consider various factors, such as location, condition and comparable sales. By setting a time limit for this task, you can efficiently collect and analyze this data and provide your client with a pricing recommendation that’s based on market conditions and their property’s unique features.
- Embrace uncertainty: You’ll likely encounter situations where you don’t have access to all the information you need to make informed decisions. You may be dealing with a unique property, a complex transaction or a challenging client, and there may not be any industry reports or best practices you can rely on. In these situations, accept that you might be wrong about 25% of the time. For example, when negotiating a complex transaction, you may have to navigate competing interests and unpredictable market conditions. By embracing uncertainty, you can anticipate potential challenges and develop contingency plans that protect your clients’ interests while being open to creative solutions that may not have been tried before.
These practices can help when making an important and high-stakes decision. One decision that can be easy, though, is selecting a reliable and trustworthy title company. At Transnation Title, we understand that a smooth and stress-free closing process is crucial for your clients’ satisfaction and your reputation. That’s why we offer comprehensive title services and support to ensure a seamless closing experience! Call us today and cross one decision off your to-do list.